Friday, November 21, 2014

6th anniversary skydive!


For our SIXTH wedding anniversary, Sean and I decided to go skydiving!  Sean has been wanting to go forever, and we both thought it would be a fun thing to do for our anniversary.  Because nothing says I love you, like let's jump out of a plane and cheat death together.  Right?

Sean and I each got our own videos and pictures taken.  What's the point of doing it unless it's documented?  And of course need some to make fun of afterwards!  I didn't realize they had to have a separate skydiver just to record you, which obviously makes sense now...Honestly, at this point...what's another $100 for pictures and a video?  You only have one 6th anniversary...hopefully.

I was feeling pretty good at this point, I was just really excited and anxious to jump!

It wasn't until this point, flying up to 13,500 feet, that I started to feel a little nervous.  I quickly realized there wasn't any backing down at this point, and whether I wanted to or not, I was jumping out of an airplane.  Who thought this was a good idea?

I'm glad we got the video and the picture package (I highly recommend it if you're on the fence), because honestly I don't even remember this moment.  All morning we were in class being instructed on how to jump out of the plane.  We practiced the moves a million times, and they drilled into our head that this was one of the most important parts of the jump.  But, when we got to the edge about to jump out, I completely froze and acted like I had never been told what to do.  Apparently I crack under pressure. Luckily, I was jumping tandem and my instructor basically forced my body in the correct position.  Rookie, jeez.

It was a perfect day outside, high 70's, but all I remember thinking at this moment was...IT'S FREEZING!!!

For me, this was the funnest part of the jump, the 60 second free-fall.  
It was awesome.

Check out that view, hey Dallas!  

At this point the photographer was trying to get me to do all these poses and things with my hands.  Clearly, I was a little confused...
I think I was "swimming" at this point...

Yeahhhhhhh!

Boom goes the dynamite.  As soon as my instructor pulled the cord, my legs flew in the air, the chute deployed, and we started our descent to the ground.  Crazy!

 Here I come!

 If you look close, you can see Sean landing in the background...

 I think my very words at this time were, "Thanks for not letting me die."
Or something along those lines...

Hallelujah!  I'm alive!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10100524805803694&l=4281597844504061005
Here's my skydiving video you can watch!


Sean's turn!!!  I like this picture, it's an awesome shot of him right as he's jumping out of the plane.

Boom baby!

What up superman?


This is a cool shot, the photographer is directly above Sean.  This is what our view looked like as we were going down.

I love this picture.  Look how happy this boy is!  Like a little kid in a candy shop, love this grown up kid of mine.

I don't know if you can tell in this picture, it's more obvious in the video but Sean cheeks are flapping like no one's business.  This was one of my biggest fears of being recorded while jumping (I know, I'm a stupid girl).  I had seen so many pictures and videos of people's cheeks flapping in the wind.  I had gained quite of bit of weight, so I was even a little more self conscious than I normally was.  Luckily, it wasn't me who had the cheek flapping...it was Sean.  Who would have thought?  The thinner of the two of us, and he got caught with the flapping cheeks?  Luckily, he's a boy and doesn't care, and still mocks me for even worrying about it.  Haha, I'm a freak...I know.

It's more obvious in the video, but Sean is signaling his instructor to spin him around.  We both told our instructors we wanted to have all the crazy, fun stuff.  We wanted the flips, the turns, the barrel rolls, everything.  If we were going to this we wanted to go all out.  They definitely didn't disappoint!

Waving goodbye...

Sean may have shouted out some choice words at this point, luckily you can't really hear anything during the free fall of the video.  

There he goes! This point felt a lot like para-sailing.  Once you're up in the air and the chute has been deployed, it's actually very peaceful.  Everything is very calm and quiet, and it's surprisingly relaxing.

Coming in for the landing!

Perfect landing, he landed right on his bum.  Apparently, when people do get hurt, it's usually on the landing.  We were instructed to basically pull your legs up as high and close to the body as possible.  That way the professional could do his thing.  It's when people try and stand up, the instructor trips over them, and then legs snap...yikes.  Both of us had champion landings...luckily.

Oh, the awkward boy hugs...

Hey, we made it!  We're both still alive!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10100524853548014&set=vb.193306520&type=3
Sean's skydiving video!

I'm so glad we decided to go skydiving for our anniversary.  We had a blast!  I would definitely recommend it. Sean said he would love to make a hobby out of it, but I kind of feel like it's a 'bucket list check' item for me.  The skydiving crowd was pretty comical, it was mostly older people!  I was completely shocked.  There was a few "snowboarder" type younger people, but most of the "regulars" were probably 60+ years old.  Looks like there's even more to look forward to with age.

 Happy 6th anniversary to my forever boyfriend, love you more and more the longer we're married.

No comments: