Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Hygienist's High


This might not seem like a big deal to most of you, but something amazing happened today.  About six months ago I saw a 51 yr old patient who had 8 localized areas of  4-5mm pockets depths.  This means he had some localized areas of gingivitis.  As I do with all my patients I explained to him what this meant, how it is a big deal, and finally what he can do to arrest or reverse his gingivitis.  What I didn't expect was his concerned reaction.  Dr. Loftus told me that he always overreacts, but he seemed genuinely concerned with this new information. 

Well, as I said earlier he came back today.  The first think he said to me was, "I hope my gingivitis is gone, I've been 'C-shape flossing' everyday just like you told me to!"  Surprisingly there was only one interproximal area of 4mm pockets!  The best part about all of this was how excited my patient was.  He really cared about improving his oral health.  I helped and educated a patient who actually listened and changed. It happened, just like all my professors said it would. Oh the thrills of being a hygienist :)

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Haha we are such nerds! I get excited over the same things...I just wish more of my patients would take it seriously!