Sunday, January 5, 2014

Girls' Trip day 2: NYC!

After waking up at the crack of dawn, and a four hour bus ride into the city, we made it!  First, we tried to get some cheap tickets for some Broadway shows.  It turns out you have to be in line super early to get the cheap ones, so we didn't make it! 

We had all heard good things about getting discount tickets at the TCKTS booth, so we thought we would give it a whirl.  We walked up to the line, and it was forever long...we only waited for about five minutes when an employee told us that because we (they) we pregnant, we could go to the front of the line, huzzzzzahhhh! (We litterally cut in front of hundreds of people!) Prego hookup in your face!  We were all feeling very optomistic until we got to the front of the line, when we realized that the tickets were still hundreds of dollars.  Bummer.

Next, we ventured into Central Park.  I've been there before, and I knew it was big...but holy crap...it is huge.  It seemed like we walked forever and barely made progress.  We probably didn't make the best progress/go the most effective route, since none of us were locals (and our new best friend was Google Maps).  We headed to the Jackie O. Reservoir, which is my NYC tour guide enthusiast/one of my favorite people/amazing friend, Rachel's favorite place.


We were looking for more fun and cost effective things to do in NYC, so we decided to take the Ellis Island Ferry, I was pretty excited about it.  I love ferry rides, and this one was supposed to give a great view of the Statue of Liberty.

 
Oh, and why would you ever want to ride a ferry on an empty stomach?  Nathan's chili cheese dogs will make anyone's day better, including ours!  

Unfortunately, the travel gods were not with us this day.  We missed the outdoor fairy by literally 30 seconds, and had to ride the lame indoor fairy.  I was a little distraught.  I had been to New York numerous times, and this was the one thing I hadn't done, that I was look forward to doing that day.  

 Although the travel gods were not with us that day, the prego gods were!  Stephanie and Janene were amazing and worked their prego charm to get the security guards to take us up to the top deck, where passengers weren't allowed!  VIP baby.  I finally got my outdoor ferry trip ride, haha!

Our outdoor view to the Statue of Liberty!  :)

 After our ferry escapades, we were beyond hungry.  We had gotten numerous recommendations to go to an Italian restaurant, Carmines, in Time Square.  There's always a long wait everywhere, but at this point I was getting hitchy.  Hungry and.......

 
Finally they called our name, and it was time to stuff our faces...family style.  Clearly, they were massive portions!  I felt a little high maintainence, because I don't like marinara sauce (I realize it's an Italian restaurant, but they usually have alfredo, people!) and I had to order a separate dish...which could have fed 10 people or more I'm sure.  

 But, we gave the massive amounts of leftovers to this bum sitting in the subway station...so it's fine, right?  I'm going with it...

 Speaking of the subway...we had quite the time getting around on this glorious/cheap mode of transportation.  We took advantage of all the handicapped seating, haha!  And chivalry is not dead, because numerous people gave up their seats for my clearly pregnant partners in crime.

Luckily for me, they're both ridiculously tiny and could easily and pain free sit in my lap.  So once again, I benefited from their pregnancies.  Seriously people, take these lovelies wherever you go and you will get hooked up! 

 The exhaustion at this point was setting in...we were all starting to lose it towards the end of the night.  This is on our way to our sketchy/not too shabby hotel in Newark.

 Time Square always looks better at night. 
Notice the smiles, clearly taken after our feast at Carmine's! 

 Last stop, Brooklyn Bridge!  This is a NYC must.  We danced across the bridge singing our sweet, possibly off key at times, hearts out.  Jay-Z and Alicia Keys, don't mess with us...we're rising stars.  By the time we got to the end of the bridge (Brooklyn), we went to get the perfect view of the city.  Steph and I had both been to the Brooklyn Bridge Ice Cream Factory, which is delicious...and also has the best view of the bridge with the city in the background.  We were determined to find it!  Like most things that day, it was easier said than done...and may or may not have taken a little longer than it was supposed to.
 Freaking tourists. 


 At least we had fun in the process! 

 We made it!  We got the perfect shot, mixed with a little darkness and a lot of exhaustion.
 Goodnight NYC!

  I don't know why this photo is so comical to me.  This was taken (at some ridiculous hour) the morning after our stay in Newark, back into the city, and about to board our 4 hour bus ride back to D.C.  We all had to share a backpack, so if you look closely-we're all wearing the same clothes, clearly no makeup, and are beyond exhausted.  But, I love it still. 

I had a blast in D.C. and NYC with these prego hotties, cousins, and friends who happened to be related.  Thanks to Sean for riding solo for the weekend, and to Aaron and Steve for playing Mr. Mom for the weekend.  Girls' trip 2013, success!







No comments: