Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Visiting Grandma Gin

I really only grew up with one grandparent, my Grandma Gin.  I couldn't have asked for a better Grandmother, she more than made up for the others.  I cannot recall one birthday, holiday, baptism, piano recital, dance competition, school dance, or wedding without her.  Despite her not being of the same religious faith as my family was, she was always there to support us.  I remember her coming to our wedding at the Salt Lake Temple and not really understanding why she couldn't go inside the temple, but happily waiting outside alone for us.  I can't ever remember her raising her voice, or saying anything but kind words to everyone around her.  Even when things would get crazy around the house (with five little kids this was quite often) she would just laugh awkwardly when my Mom would be yelling at us.  Grandma Gin is simply amazing.

We had two "Grandma Blocks" (my Grandpa Block remarried), so not to confuse us children, we had "Grandma Gin" (Virginia) and "Grandma Lene" (Lorainne).  It's no coincidence that this amazing lady is my Dad's Mother.  

Over the past few months, Grandma Gin's health had taken a turn for the worst. For the last few years she's been experiencing more and more mini strokes (TIA).  The last mini stroke she had she was out in public alone, she fell down and hit her head, and was knocked unconscious.  Some terrible person (who may or may not be going to hell) stole her purse while she was passed out on the ground.  She was rushed to the hospital, they got a hold of my mom, and the rest is history.

After that episode, a judge decided it wasn't safe for my Grandma to live by herself anymore.  My Mom has always said she would never let my Grandma go into a nursing home, and since she's all alone now too, it just worked out for Grandma Gin to move in with my Mom.  My Mom called me that weekend, and told us we should probably come home to see Grandma Gin.  So off to Chicago we went...

To be honest, I had a few reservations about going back home.  It had been two years since I had been back in Chicago.  My Mom and I have had a somewhat tumultuous relationship over the years, and it has only gotten worse since my Dad passed away.  To spare everyone the details, let's just say we weren't exactly on speaking terms.  Home holds a lot of memories for me, and unfortunately not all of them are the best.  Home to me-means thinking of my Dad, and sometimes that isn't always the easiest thing for me.  But, this trip wasn't about me, it was someone who had always been there for me, my Grandma Gin.  I sent my Mom an email to clear the air (you know, because the 20-something year old daughter should take the high road and apologize first), and we took a quick trip out to Chicago.

First things first, visiting my Dad.

My little brother, Christopher picked us up from the airport (bless him) and I asked if we could go see our Dad first.  It was the first time I had seen his tombstone up.  To say I was flooded with emotions would be an understatement...the key word here is flooding.

 My Mom had all the kid's names put on the back of his tombstone.


Right when we got home my Mom had a bonfire going.  Every time we come home Sean has to burn something, it's the pryo in him.  My Mom loves to burn things too, so they have a lot of fun on our 7+ acres my parent's own.


Hanging out with  my sweet Grandma.

 We headed into the city to take a last look at Grandma's apartment downtown before it was put on the market.  She lived in this apartment for over 40 years.

Grandma Gin's apartment is in the best location, it's right off East Lake Shore Drive downtown.  From both her windows you can see Lake Michigan.  That weekend we were there happened to be 'The Air and Water Show', and we got a glimpse of some of the planes from her window.  I have so many memories of going to her rooftop to watch that show.

 It was so weird to see her apartment so empty, with all of her things gone.  She doesn't really understand that she isn't coming back.  When she was talking to me at home, she said she was just at my Mom's house until she "got back on her feet".  I don't think she understands that my Uncle Bob is selling her apartment and that she's not allowed to drive anymore. Bless her heart.

 While we were in the city, we got to do one fun thing...see a Cubs game!  It wouldn't be a trip home to Chicago without one, my Dad wouldn't have it any other way.

 Not the best picture, but you get the idea.
 Sean wouldn't wear a Cubs shirt (lame) but at least he wore some type of Chicago shirt I got for him!

We went into the city with Chris, and his sweet girlfriend Kassi.

Huge shocker, they lost.  But, at this point...does anyone ever really expect them to win?  It's all about the experience I guess. :)
 
 "Chicago welcomes you"

 I really wanted to take Sean up to the Skydeck in Sear's tower.  I don't know why, but I've never taken him there.  Of course when we got there it was a 2+ hour line, and we didn't have time to do that and the Cubs game.  Lame.

 The view from the outside...one day I'll get him up there!

 We had some time before the game, so we hit up a Chicago favorite, Giordano's deep dish pizza.

Seriously, one slice and you're full...

Well, now I know where I get my love for potted plants and flowers...jeez.

I love going to Chicago in the summer, it's so pretty and green.  Notice that I said SUMMER.  We don't do Chicago winters...

 That Sunday, back at my home ward, we ran into one of Sean's good friends from BYU-Idaho.  What are the chances he would move into my Mom's ward?! Crazy.
The Mormon world is small, and I love it.

  Sean and Grandma Gin

 This was the first time that I had seen this picture from John's wedding, it's a good one!  I'm not really sure what's going on with Sean and Daniel...something inappropriate I'm sure.

Last stop, saying my goodbyes to my Dad.

It was so great to see my Grandma.  The more updates I get, the better she seems to be doing.  She just turned 89 this year. I don't know how much time we have here on this earth with her, but I hope the time that we do have we can spend happily and continuing to love each other.  One day when I'm a Grandma, I hope I can be at least half as good as she has been to my brothers and I.  Love you Grandma Gin.  Xoxo.








No comments: